Rice with Fennel and Golden Raisins
Serves 4 – 8
- 4 – quart saucepan
- 8 inch chef’s knife with kullens
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds, lightly crushed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup medium- or long-grain white rice
- 2 cups water
- In a saucepan, cook onion, fennel, raisins, fennel seeds, salt and pepper in olive oil over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add rice and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add water and bring to a vigorous boil. Tightly cover and cook over low heat, undisturbed, until water is absorbed, about 22 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Remove lid and place a clean kitchen towel over the pan, then replace lid. Let stand 10 minutes, and fluff with a fork.