Crisp Chicken with Sherry Vinegar Reduction Sauce
Serves 4 – 8
- 4 chicken breasts (with skin and bones)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/3 cup Sherry vinegar or high-quality balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons mild honey
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Heat the oven to 450 degrees and place oven rack in upper third of oven.
- Pat chicken dry and sprinkle evenly with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over moderately high heat until hot, but not smoking. Sear the skin side of the chicken until golden brown, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer chicken, skin side up, with tongs, to a large shallow baking dish and reserve skillet. Roast chicken in oven until cooked through, 30 to 40 minutes. Cover and let rest for 5 minutes.
- While chicken is cooking, cook garlic in skillet over moderately high heat, stirring until pale golden, 15 to 30 seconds. Add paprika and mix thoroughly. Add vinegar, stirring and scraping up any brown bits, and boil for 1 minute.
- Add broth and honey and simmer, stirring occasionally, until liquid is reduced to about 1/2 cup, about 2 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and whisk in butter, one small piece at a time, until incorporated. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve in a small bowl or pitcher.