Caramelized Apples with Dried Fruit Over Ice Cream
Serves 4 – 6
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 applies (3/4 lb. total), peeled, cored and cut into 1/4 – inch wedges
- 1/4 cup dried tart cherries, cranberries or raisins
- 1/3 to 1 cup sugar (taste applies first)
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, or to taste
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Heat butter in skillet over moderately high heat until foam subsides, then saute apples and dried fruit, stirring and turning over occasionally, until applies are just beginning to brown, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add sugar, salt and 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice. Increase the heat to high and cook, stirring, until the juices are deep golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cream and bring to a boil, stirring, for 1 minute. Remove from heat and cool to warm, about 15 minutes. Stir in remaining teaspoon of lemon juice or to taste. Serve hot or warm over ice cream.