Arugula & Fennel Salad
Winter 2009 Recipe
Contributed by Edible Communities
- 4 cups (about 5 ounces) lightly packed arugula
- 2 small fennel bulbs (about 1 ½ pounds)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (preferably from Meyer lemons), plus more if needed
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, plus more if needed
- ¼ pound Pecorino Romano cheese
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Arrange the arugula in a large, shallow salad bowl.
2. Cut the stalks off of the fennel bulbs. Remove the fronds from the stalks and set aside. Cut each bulb in half lengthwise through the root. Place each half cut-side-down on the cutting board, then cut in half lengthwise again. Cut each quarter into very thin slices cross-wise and scatter the slices on top of the arugula. Cut the fennel stalks into thin slices on the diagonal and scatter on top of the salad.
3. Sprinkle the olive oil, lemon juice and salt over the vegetables and toss gently. The salad should taste light and slightly lemony. Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
4. Using a potato peeler or cheese slicer, cut ribbons of cheese and scatter them on top of the salad. Sprinkle with the pepper and top with the reserved fennel fronds. Serve immediately.